Saturday, January 29, 2011

The Blowout, Part 1

So I have good news and bad news. The good news is I managed to get 2 games in at my LGS this week! The bad news is its because they were complete blowouts, with my opponent getting 1 turn before her army was blown off the table. Though these battle reports kind of suck, I figured I would post them anyway, if at very least to show how stupid Legion can be sometimes.

In the spirit of deciding between the Scythean and the Ravagore, I decided to play the following list:

Epic Lylyth
Ravagore
Ravagore
Angelius
Striders + UA
Forsaken

I realized that since it was so easy to use magnets to make my Carnivean a Ravagore if needed, I should really only be testing lists that use either both the Carnivean and the Ravagore, or 2 Ravagores. The second led me to cook up this disgusting eLylyth list. The goal is to use feat turn to drop 4 fully boosted POW 15 AOE's on the opposing warcaster. Originally I had a Seraph and Spell Martyr instead of the Angelius, but thought that Repulsion might help move any blocking models out of the way of the Ravagores' rain of death.

My opponent also decided to try something new, using 2 heavies and Thorn instead of her standard Ironclad-Lancer build with a Charger on the Journeyman. It was also her first time bringing out Eiryss:

Prime Haley
-Thorn
-Cyclone
Full Long Gunners + UA
Prime Eiryss
Journeyman Warcaster
-Defender

I think she accidentally put in full Long Gunners for the price of a minimum squad, but I made a mistake on feat turn and thought the Striders were RAT 7. Given the only thing they shot at was the Long Gunners, I figure the extra ones they killed evened out the fact that there were too many gunners in the first place.

Terrain and Scenario
The board had two hills on either side of each of our deployment zones, as well as one tall pillar just to the left of the center of the board and a small hill right of center. We wanted to try out a scenario, but ended up rolling killbox, which is pretty close to caster kill, so it didn't end up mattering. I won the deployment roll, but opted to go second, hoping she would move into range of my feat for the start of my first turn.

Cygnar Deployment
My opponent deployed in two halves, with Haley, the Journeyman, and all the jacks just outside the left corner of the killbox (behind a hill), and the Long Gunners on the far right side of the box.

Legion Deployment
Since I was going for assassination, I deployed my entire force on the left side of the killbox, directly across from Haley and the jacks. The three heavies went in front with the Angelius in the middle, and Lylyth and the Forsaken behind them.

Cygnar Advance Deployment
Eiryss deployed directly in front of the Long Gunnners as far up as possible, as she didn't want to be close to the jacks on the other side of the field.

Legion Advance Deployment
The Striders deployed directly across from Eiryss and the Long Gunners. I figured they would be able to do some damage and hold them back while my beasts rained death on Haley.

Cygnar Turn 1
All the jacks ran forward, with Haley and the Journeyman walking up behind them. The Long Gunners advanced cautiously, not wanting to give the Striders too easy a shot before they could engage. Eiryss ran full tilt diagonally across the board towards my battlegroup - I guess my opponent wanted to put some pressure on Lylyth.

Legion Turn 1
My opponent had set herself up for me so well, I was for a moment confounded. I wanted to activate Lylyth first, but I also wanted to move her up, but the beasts were blocking her way. I decided to bite the bullet and had my Angelius move first, taking a shot at Eiryss. Boosting to hit, I still failed to hit her. However, then Lylyth then moved up as far as possible, cast Shadow Pack, popped her feat, and took the 2 shots at the elven hunter, killing her. Then the carnage began. The Striders shifted toward Lylyth to get in her control, then with their extended range and extra shots, took down all but 3 of the Long Gunners! The remained of the unit failed their morale check and fled. The Ravagores then moved up, the first fully boosting all its shots to take out both the Journeyman and the arc node on Thorn. The other moved forward and dropped both its shots on the Cyclone, seriously wounding the jack but failing to take out any systems. To keep my guys from frenzying, the forsaken moved up and pulled all the fury from one of the Ravagores and hiding itself behind one of the hills.

Cygnar Turn 2
My opponent really didn't know what to do from here. Not only was her army seriously crippled, she also couldn't shoot anything I had. Without many options, Haley moved up to the Defender and spent her turn reactivating it (as well as camping most of her fury, just in case). Thorn ran forward, lacking other options, while the Cyclone decided to try to slow the Striders by putting several templates in front of them. The Long Gunners managed to rally, but were unable to help out this turn.

Legion Turn 2
Ah, the curses of 5 fury - I was unable to leech everything I had put out, and had to roll for frenzy on the Angelius. Thankfully he passed, and I had him charge Thorn. Wow, what a blow! The boosted armor-piercing tail strike knocked out his lance arm, movement, and cortex. I bought a second attack and put the poor jack out of his misery, though this time with decidedly less spectactular damage. The Ravagores dropped their shots on the Cyclone, and Lylyth burned several points of fury to bring it to critical health. 5 of the Striders manuvered around its templates to finish it with a CRA. The other 3 went after the remaining Long Gunners, and managed to take everyone but the UA commander down. The Forsaken moved up, expecting that its Blight Shroud may be needed to take down Haley.

Cygnar Turn 3
With just her Defender and Haley left, my opponent decided she had one shot - move close enough to shoot the the Striders try to get lucky with Chain Lightning to kill Lylyth. While she did roll well, the Striders took the brunt of the attack, and she found herself without any targets after the first lighting. The Defender, with nothing else to do, ran forward to try to protect her...

Legion Turn 3
...but it was all for naught, as the combined firepower of the Warbeasts, Lylyth, and the Striders finished Haley off.

Aftermath
I don't think I've ever played such a lopsided game. By the start of turn 3, my opponent had only her Warcaster, 1 jack, and a lone Long Gunner left, while my entire army was intact. All she managed to kill the entire game was 4 striders. The list did exactly what I'd hoped - the Ravagores were excellent and almost single-handedly won me the game. As usual, the Striders were great, helping to deal with the opposing infantry. I was dissapointed in the Angelius though. While its tail strike is powerful, its only for the first shot. Overall, a Scythean would do far more damage for the points. The plan of using Repulsion also failed miserably - the 10" charge was just not enough to get where he needed to be to help out 18" range. Maybe with a warlock other than eLylyth...

One thing I realized was the list really relied on crippling my opponent on feat turn. If I hadn't, I didn't have the firepower to do much as they advanced up the board. While I would probably have been fine since my entirely-stealthed army was basically impossible for my opponent to deal with, against someone who was better at melee, all they would have to do is keep enough of their stuff alive through the feat turn and I'd be done for. I'm also starting to question the Ravagore's power, especially compared to the Seraph. While Epic Lylyth really makes the Ravagores shine with her feat, normally I could see the Seraph's strafe doing similar damage, especially to groups of enemies. While the extra 4" of range are really nice, I'm also giving up Slipstream and 2 points. I think I'm going to try the Ravagore with pLylyth next, and see how different that feels from using the Seraph.

Look for the next battle report in another day or so, which will have the second blowout battle.

No comments:

Post a Comment