Thursday, January 27, 2011

Incoming: Heavy Warbeast

So in a bunch of the games I've been playing lately, I've come to a conclusion: I need another heavy warbeast. Too many of my games hinge on whether my Carnivean lives or dies, and I imagine having a second powerhouse will really help. The question is, what do I want? I've been playtesting a bit over the last month, and I'll go over my thoughts.

First off, here's a list of all of Everblight's heavy warbeasts:

Carnivean
Seraph
Scythean
Ravagore
Angelius
Typhon


Off the bat, I'm going to drop the Carnivean and Seraph. I already have one of each, but more than that, they're all-rounders. While its good to have at least 1, I want something more specialized for my next beast. Because of that, I'm also dropping the Angelius. His melee power pales in comparison to the Ravagore, and the Seraph can out shoot him any day of the week. Combined with the fact that his animus is nothing to write home about, he grounded, at least for now.

That leaves the Scythean, Ravagore, and Typhon. I'll start with our three-headed fire-breathing monstrosity, since it would be really cool to have a character beast. Comparing Typhon to the Carnivean, I come up with the following: he's one point more for better ranged capability. Seems like a decent improvement - with gunfighter and 3 sprays, he could conceivably go for a caster kill, especially with Lylyth's feat helping the still-bad RAT. I decided to try proxying him and using him instead of my Carnivean for a bit.

Sadly he totally didn't work out this way when I played him. I didn't realize his spray was 8", and way too often I found that the extra 2" were important. In addition, he's across the board just a little weaker than the Carnivean - POW 17 vs. POW 18, ARM 17 vs. ARM 18, a slightly smaller health spiral, and an animus that, while on average the same as the Carnivean's, is RNG Self. This was all compounded by the fact that I couldn't afford to just have him stand back and shoot - I really needed him to get stuck in, since thats where he does his best damage. And once he's in melee, he's just a bad version of the Carnivean for 1 point more. I even tried using him with Epic Thagrosh for the affinity, but I never ended up using regeneration. Fury is just too valuable on eThags to waste on superfluous healing. The final straw was his lack of pathfinder. Maybe I'm just spoiled playing Legion, but getting stuck in forests was miserable.

So that leaves the Carnivean's two younger brothers: the Scythean and the Ravagore. They couldn't be more different: one takes the Carnivean's melee power and adds reach for 2 points less, while the other is a living artillery cannon. I'll post the test games I play with them, as well as thoughts on how they are doing. In the meantime, I've put up a poll (to the left) to see what you guys think: which heavy beast should I pick? I've included every beast I don't have, since I'd like to see how much people like the options I've already discarded. You can pick multiple options, and I'd also like to hear your thoughts on why you selected the ones you did.

No comments:

Post a Comment