Monday, June 20, 2011

Lock & Load 2011

Last weekend was Privateer Press' Lock & Load convention, and what a blast it was! There was too much cool stuff for me to describe it all here, so I'll just go over some highlights

-I played against people from Utah, Tennessee, British Columbia, and even Mexico! The player from B.C. was running a Skorne list complete with Molik Karn. This was only my second time playing against Skorne and first time against the infamous Karn. He did a lot of damage with with 14" threat range and 10" retreat, but I managed to drag him down with the power of Saeryn's feat.

-I played an awesome scenario game, this one against the player from Mexico. I had 25 points to his 50, and had to keep his army out of the back 10" of the board. To make things easier, there was a massive gate just outside my deployment zone, so his entire army was trying to get through an 8" gap! The interesting thing was he brought a Cygnar gunline as the attacker, while I had a balanced Rhyas list as the defender. It came down to the wire since though he tore my army up early, he did so while advancing slowly and realized he wouldn't make it if his Precursor Knights didn't break Shield Wall and run. In the end, he managed to knock down my Scythean so Ol' Rowdy could avoid the free strike and win.

-I got drafted into the 5 Commander tournament as part of the aptly named Ship of Fools. Each team had 5 players, and they would pair off and play. We were scrambling to get our forms done in time since the team was assembled at the last minute, but managed to get everything in thanks to a first-round bye. The two games I played were some of the best I've had: the first was against a Trollblood army, and we both spent the game dancing around each other to avoid losing our heavies to a charge from the enemy. It was definitely the most cerebral game I've had to date. The second was against another Everblight player, which was interesting since I knew his army incredibly well. He had Epic Thagrosh and lots of warbeasts, including a Carnivean and Typhon. He was no match for Saeryn's Carnivean and Scythean though, and I managed to bring him down by caster kill by hitting Thagrosh with Breath Stealer, 2 Ice Cages, and Kiss of Lyliss before trampling a Scythean over some Shredders and buying attacks to finish him. That's quickly becoming one of my favorite tricks! This also marks my first win in a tournament, so I'm pretty excited about that.

-I attended two seminars: The History of the Iron Kingdoms, and Concept to Book: A Model’s Journey Panel & Workshop. The first was Doug Seacat talking about some history of the Iron Kingdoms, which, while geeky, was a lot of fun. I've definitely spent afternoons on the forums just browsing through everything he's posted, and this was similar except in person. The second one was also amazing: after we listened to some background on the development process, we got to make our own league models. The one I really want to mention is the Strider Deathbringer, a version of the Strider Deathstalker that is a lesser warlock. I'm particularly psyched about her because it was my suggestion, and I'm really hoping she'll show up in one of the future leagues!

-I managed to snag two amazing sketch art prints, one of Garryth and one of a Satyxis Blood Witch.They don't do them justice, but here are some pictures:



-There was some amazing art of what I'm pretty certain are Epic Vayl and Hexeris. Here are some pictures of them:

Overall, the weekend was a ton of fun, and I can't wait for next year's Lock & Load!

1 comment:

  1. Awesome indeed! Thanks for the post and the exciting write ups. I'll definitely want to go next year. That's some cool looking art.

    ReplyDelete