Monday, September 3, 2012

Return to PAX

Hope everyone's enjoying their labor day weekend - at least those of you in the U.S. anyway. I'm taking a bit of breather after coming back from PAX. It was kind of a double header for me, since I used to live up in the Seattle area and got to see a bunch of my old friends and gaming buddies.

Friday evening I went to Gamma Ray Games and had a pretty solid match against one of the Cygnar players I used to battle frequently. I'm particularly proud of the match since I've been having a lot of trouble with Cygnar lately. My guys just get shot up before I have a chance to engage, and I've been starting to think about picking up some Ravagores or one of the shootier casters like Epic Lylyth or Epic Vayl to help, but I decided to try another tack first: driving my army forward to win on scenario. I actually managed to pull it off  this game; he realized near the end of one of his turns that the only model he had in the zone was out of command (and thus not contesting), so he tried to send Epic Caine at me for the assassination even though I had 6 fury on Epic Thagrosh. He realized he couldn't even use the last of his focus to teleport out since otherwise I would just end my turn immediately and take scenario. This was after he decimated my Hex Hunters on the first few turns. Gun Mages are brutal when they can see through Stealth.

I also managed to pick up some new additions. First up is a model I've been planning on getting for a while, the Succubus:
I'm really excited to have her since she should really help with my lower fury Warlocks like Kallus and Rhyas, who often don't have enough fury to upkeep, cast spells, and save some for transfers. She not only helps with upkeeps, but also lets me put Tenacity on my casters for a little more survivablility, which is something I've always struggled with.

The other thing I picked up isn't directly related to my army, but still kind of cool:
 Its a really good book, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone interested in the Iron Kingdoms. The combat system feels really familiar, since its basically the same as Warmachine/Hordes. While I'm probably going to end up as a player in a game, I kind of want to run my own. While the enemies section is a bit thin, I'm thinking that almost any model from WM/H can be used since the stat line is almost the same. It'd be cool for my Legion to have some more heroic adversaries to consume!

No comments:

Post a Comment