Sunday, March 13, 2011

First Tournament

Yesterday one of the stores I play at was hosting a Highlander 15-point tournament, and it seemed like a fun opportunity to meet some other players. For those who don't know, Highlander follows the "there can be only one" rule - in this case, that mean one Warcaster/Warlock, one Warjack/Warbeast, one Unit with one attachment, and one Solo. Though Hordes factions are a bit weak in Highlander due to lack of beasts, I still wanted to play, and decided on the following list:

pLylyth
-Carnivean
Striders + UA
Spell Martyr

There were several things I was concerned about that would really make the format tough - the Winter Guard Deathstar (full Winterguard + UA + Iron Flesh + Kovnik Joe = 12 DEF 17 infantry with tough), Blackbane's Raiders (incorporeal in a format without much anti-magic), and Prime Goreshade's feat (adding a full unit of Bane Thralls in a format where everyone is strapped for points). I figured pLylyth would help deal with most of these threats, using her feat to hit high-def infantry and Eruption of Spines arced through the Spell Martyr to bring down mobs of infantry, even incorporeal ones. The Carnivean and Striders are my standbys, able to take on pretty much anything thrown at them. I playtested the list against a Sorscha/Juggernaut/Winterguard list, as well as a Stryker/Firefly/Long Gunners/pEiryss list, and won both pretty handily, so I felt decent about my chances, despite playing Hordes.

First round, I was up against Drake McBain, a Mule, the Nyss Hunters, and Epic Eiryss. I got the first turn and ran up, which he responded to by advancing up and using his feat to make the Nyss unkillable. I lost the game next turn, since I decided to use my feat to try to knock all the Nyss down, and even though I succeeded, it had very little impact on the game. Afterwards he shot my Striders to pieces and kept my Carnivean out of range with the Mule, whittling me down. If I had saved my feat and just retreated, I could have swept the Nyss Hunters later and then had a clear shot at the Mule with my Carnivean. Other highlights involved me forgetting to rile the Carnivean and having to cut for 6. Overall, I played terribly, but at least I'm learning.

Next round was against Epic Asphyxious, a Seether, Bane Thralls, and Bane Lord Tartarus. It started off fairly well - once again I ran forward, and when my opponent moves up in response, I shot his forces up. My mistake was overextending and charging my Carnivean forward so his assault spray could kill a few more bane thralls. Though the Seether couldn't get do him, my opponent then used Asphyxious' feat, and though the incorporeal models couldn't get to Lylyth, enough got to the Carnivean to finish him off. Though my opponent was down to just his Warcaster after my next turn, he camped focus to sit at armor 23, and I couldn't crack it, especially since I was cutting for fury.

Final round was against Reznik, the Fire of Salvation, Exemplar Errants, and a Vassal of Menoth. This time, I'm proud to say I did everything well - I used feat turn to take apart his Exemplars, then reformed them to block the path from the Fire of Salvation to my Carnivean. Unfortunately, luck wasn't on my side - my opponent's last 4 errants all made 8+ rolls to hit on 2 dice, killing just enough models for the Fire of Salvation to charge my Carnivean. Though he didn't kill it and I retaliated by taking the jack apart, Reznik was able to Hexblast my beast into oblivion next turn before retreating into cover. I failed to kill him that turn, and once again he camped focus to sit at armor 23, well beyond my reach.

Even though I went 0-3, I really had fun at the tournament! In hindsight, I prepared for all kinds of tricks, but not something as simple as a Warcaster camping focus. If I tried this again, I think I would bring Rhyas instead - though she has fewer answers to tricks, at least she can kill someone in a straight-up fight. The other option would be Epic Thagrosh, since not only does he hit hard, but with his Athanc isn't as hurt by the fact that I can only run 4 fury worth of beasts. The main problem would be he prefers several beasts in his battlegroup, but it seems like something worth trying out.

The same store is having another tournament in a month, this time at 25 points. I'll be gunning for my first win there!

1 comment:

  1. Wow! You gotta crawl before you walk, unless you're a dragon spawn who are born with pathfinder and a huge appetite. I am glad you posted this so that people (me) can learn to expect what their first tournament will be like. I started playing Hordes several weeks ago and also feel Everblight close to my heart (like an athanc shard). I really enjoy your blog as it not only gives me perspective but I also enjoy your enthusiastic writing.

    ReplyDelete