Monday, April 25, 2011

End of the Month of Madness

Last weekend was the tournament I was aiming for to end the Month of Madness, and I have to say I failed epically at my goal. All I managed to do was strip down my Shredders and Spell Martyrs, and I'm still having trouble with my Scythean. On the bright side, I do have battle summaries from the tournament. It was 25 points, 2 lists. I brought the following lists:

Saeryn, Omen of Everblight
-Carnivean
-4 Shredders
-Striders + UA
-2 Spell Martyrs

Thagrosh the Messiah
-Scythean
-Seraph
-5 Shredders
-Spell Martyr

The first game was against a Retribution player, who brought Rahn, Halberdiers, Battle Mages, and a min unit of Destors, as well as a Chimera for his only jack. I brought Saeryn, and was doing ok until he almost got an assassination by knocking my Carnivean over her and feating. I realize afterwards that I should have been upkeeping Banishing Ward on her the entire time, but managed to get back into the game by using my feat and Banishing Ward to stay alive for a turn while I killed off most of his army, but I ended up losing when slammed his last Halberdier into Saeryn.

Second round I had a bye.

Third round I was against a gator player who took Barnabas, a Wrastler, a full unit of Gatormen, a pair of Bull Snappers and a pair of Croak Hunters. I brought my Thagrosh list, and was doing really well until I realized I had less than a minute left of my clock. Though I went as quickly as possible, time ran out as I was making attacks on Bloody B, and he ended up at 1 HP and I had enough fury to buy a fully boosted attack from the Seraph on him.

Both losses were annoying, but I feel like I learned a lot from my mistakes. I'm going to start timing myself in the casual games I play, since none of the other players felt like the time limit was tough, and thats a skill I'd like to perfect.

As for my painting, I've set a new goal for myself - I'm going to try to have everything I currently own painted by Lock & Load in June. Interestingly, I opened a fortune cookie yesterday that said I would accomplish my goal in two months. Coincidence? I guess we'll find out then!

2 comments:

  1. Glad you got into the tournament scene again. Don't worry about big projects, real life can be so restricting. I've never been a huge fan of the timed turn concept, especially at 25 points or lower. I can appreciate people not wanting you to take your sweet ass time, (and I have played with people who deliberate waaaaaay too much, even in casual games) but it seems sort of like a rough condition to put on players trying to have competitive fun.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry the tournament wasn't what you'd hoped for, but I hope you had fun anyway. I've really enjoyed reading about the workups and practices. Looking forward to more!

    ReplyDelete