Friday, April 29, 2011

My case

So I realized the other day that I haven't posted about my gaming case. Its mostly a surprise because I've gotten a lot of compliments on it at the stores I go to, and you guys may be interested in using the idea for yourself. A little back story: before I played Warmachine, I played Warhammer 40k, and carried my figures around in a paper bag. No dividers, no cushioning, just tossed them all in a bag. Unsurprisingly, a lot of my minis broke, and it was a pain to transport other supplies like paints. When I switched to Warmachine, I decided to figure out a better solution. I didn't like the foam-filled army cases, particularly since they wouldn't be good for storing warbeasts and other larger models, but luckily, I found this cool idea on the forums. So without further ado, here is what I use to transport all my gaming equipment:

Its a metal toolbox I got off of Amazon. Why this box? Because I've glued magnets to the bases of most of my models, so they don't move around! Here's what the inside looks like:
All of those models are magnetized to the bottom. When I first set it up, I got a real kick out of turning it upside down and showing that everything was still in place! I also have my templates held to the side with a magnet, as well as part of a cup that I use for water when I'm painting. The other nice part about this box is there is a removable tray that fits on top that holds my other equipment:
I've got all my paints, dice, markers, cards, and measuring tapes. Its really convenient since I never have to worry about forgetting things - everything Warmachine related fits in my case!

For those interested in using this idea, here are the magnets I used:
When they say "Super Strong", they mean it - sometimes when I try to pick up a model, the magnet proves stronger than the glue and stays stuck to the case! Because of that, I've started gluing a scrap of paper towel to the side of the magnet that will touch the case. Here's a picture of the bottom of a model both with and without the paper:

On the top half of the second picture, you can kind of see the circle of glue from where the magnet initially was before it came off. Keeping the magnet from touching the metal helps significantly, and I have a lot fewer instances of magnets removing themselves from a mini these days.

One problem I'm running into with this case is I'm running out of room. I currently have 4 large based models, 7 medium based models, and 31 small based models. I'm currently working on a plan to open up some more space - I'll post again when I have something new to show you!

1 comment: