Friday, February 25, 2011

The Twins Painted

My latest painting blitz is continuing, and the latest models to feel the sting of my brush are my last two Warlocks, the twins of Everblight, Rhyas and Saeryn!

Lets take a closeup look of each of them:

These guys were tricky, since they have a lot more armor than most of the models I've been painting. This limits the amount of skin they are showing, and I really like the contrast of the bright blue with the darker silver and brown. However, both have one arm completely uncovered, which really helped get the effect I was going for.

The toughest part was with so much metal armor, how could I keep them from turning into a flash of silver? I ended up going over some parts of the armor with a little Thamar Black (the flat one), which managed to retain the sparkling look of armor while breaking up the silver. Otherwise I used the same paint scheme as the rest of my army, with ice blue skin, brown leather, white hair, and platinum gold cloth. This time, the cloth was in the scarves both are wearing, which, while not as big a part of the model as the capes on the Striders, still looks great. I was also really happy with how the white hair turned out on these guys. I was finally able to get it to show up well instead of blending into the ice blue of their faces.

One new addition I tried was silver eyes. Lylyth doesn't have eyes, and while I tried this with Thagrosh, he doesn't have pupils, so the results were mixed. On the twins, though, I was really happy with how it came out. I was able to get just a tiny bit of metal-silver paint on the tip of my brush, and carefully paint just the pupils silver. Though I did get a little on Saeryn's face, it was pretty easy to fix. Though its hard to see in the pictures, I'm really happy with how they turned out!

Painting these two was interesting because I got to see how the  sculptors pushed the concept of "twins". Both have lots more armor than other warlocks, both have a scarf, and both have one arm completely bare. Even the small details in the armor seemed familiar when I was painting the second one. I'm curious to see if they did something similar with other twins, such as Haley and Deneghra.

Another thing you may have noticed in the pictures is I've painted the front arcs. I've been wanting to do this for a while, but wanted to get some templates so I could get them right. I found some great ones here (middle of the top left box). Oddly enough, my brush skills turned out to be the lacking factor, and I realized after the first few I could probably have eyeballed them, since wobbly painting meant my lines weren't perfect. At this point, I've put arcs on everyone except some of the models I plan to repaint - the Shredders and Spell Martyrs.

Lastly, I've started putting the Matte Sealer on my models, to mixed results. While I haven't seen any paint chipping since I did, I have noticed that the metallics tend to look dull afterwards. You can see it a bit in the first pictures - Saeryn had the matte applied to her, and seems to sparkle less than Rhyas. I think my solution will be to only use it on the large bases, since there hasn't been any chipping on the smaller ones. For the large bases and models that I've already done, I'm going to go over the metallic portions with another coat. Hopefully this will bring the sparkle back, and if the paint does start to come off, at least the sealed, non-shiny bottom layer should remain, making it less noticeable.

No comments:

Post a Comment