Friday, November 19, 2010

Battle Report: vs Cygnar

I've been doing a bunch of painting lately, but I finally got a game in this Wednesday, against my Cygnarian opponent no less. Since I have the Warspears together, I decided to take them, and also thought it would be a good chance to bring out Lylyth, considering she hasn't seen much play lately. This was my list:

pLylyth
-Carnivean
-Seraph
-2 Shredders
Max Warspears
Striders + UA
1 Spell Martyr

This was my opponent's first 35 point game, so she was bringing everything she had to the table, which looked like this:

pStryker
-Lancer
-Ironclad
Min Long Gunners
Min Stormguard
The Black 13th
Katherine Laddermore
Journeyman Warcaster
-Charger

Ugh, Stryker. Last time I played him I was also using Lylyth, and it ended pretty poorly. This time I decided to play it a bit safer, and especially watch for the assassination attempts. I won the die roll and opted to go first.

Legion Deployment
There was a narrow forest right in front of my deployment area, a really big forest to the left in the center of the board, a large hill to my right in the middle, and another medium hill a little outside my opponent's deployment area in the middle. I placed my heavies in the center, with the Shredders on the left side and the Warspears and Spell Martyr on the right. Lylyth hung behind the Carnivean.

Cygnar Deployment
My opponent pretty much matched my deployment, putting her Ironclad and Lancer across from the Carnivean and Seraph, with Stryker behind them. The Long Gunners went to their left, then the Jouneyman Warcaster and Charger, with the Stormguard on the far left.

Legion Advance Deployment
The Striders go behind the hill on my right, spread out.

Legion Turn 1
Pretty boring - my beasts and Warspears all run forward, the Spell Martyr runs into the large forest on the right for some cover, and Lylyth walks up and puts Spiny Growth on the Carnivean and the Seraph. The Striders run on top of the hill.

Cygnar Turn 1
My opponent moves similar to me, running everyone forward. Stryker gives the Black 13th and Long Gunners Blur, and the Journeyman puts Arcane Shield on himself.

Legion Turn 2
With so many things in range, its time for the mayhem to begin! The Spell Martyr activates first, leaving the forest to get line of sight to the Stormguard who have so thoughtfully come forward. Lylyth actives, using her feat and arcing Eruption of Spines through the Martyr and onto the Stormguard. It gets 4 extra targets, and I manage to kill all 5 of them, leaving just the leader, who fails his morale. 3 Warspears then assault the Charger, and while only 2 get into melee range, they reduce it to 2 boxes of movement. The other 2 Warspears run over the screen Lylyth. The Seraph slipstreams the Carnivean up, then takes a few shots at the Ironclad, doing a bit of damage. The Carnivean then charges, the Ironclad and Lancer, his assault hitting 4 Long Gunners. Unfortunately, he's now out of control range, so he doesn't get the boosted rolls. He still manages to take out one Long Gunner and damage the Ironclad a bit, but then misses his bite and one claw. On the upside, the other claw takes out the Ironclad's hammer, saving him from retaliation. The Striders move up and CRA Laddermore, but roll low for damage and she remains mounted. The Shredders run rabid and charge the Ironclad and Lancer respectively, mostly just to tie them up but also doing a few points of damage.

Cygnar Turn 2
Though I've bloodied her nose, my opponent is still in pretty good position. Upkeeping only Blur on the Black 13th and Arcane Shield on the Jounreyman, she starts by having the Long Gunners stand and shoot, giving them 2 5 man CRA's on the Seraph. Thankfully, they roll low on the first one, dealing only 3 points of damage, and manage to miss the second shot entirely! The Charger moves up and feebly misses one of the Warspears, while the Journeyman moves up since he realizes his jack is out of control radius. The remaining Stormguard stands still and passes his command check. Laddermore charges into the Striders, taking out 4 of them and forcing a command check, which they fail. The leader, musician, and one other retreat back, but another is trapped in melee with her and opts to hold. Stryker then walks up, activates his feat, and Earthquakes the Carnivean, knocking over it, the Ironclad, the Lancer, and both Shredders. My opponent realizes she should have activated her jacks first, but is consoled a bit when the Black 13th take advantage of the situation by killing a Shredder and doing a few points to the Carnivean.

Legion Turn 3
I'm doing ok, but I've got to rely on a bit of luck - my Shredder and Carnivean are both out of control, so I can't reave their fury, and while I'd like the Shredder to frenzy, it'd be a lot easier if my Carnivean doesn't. Sadly the both go crazy, and manage to do a decent amount to the Ironclad. The Seraph then moves up and opens fire on Laddermore, dismounting her but failing to kill the dismounted form, who is still in reach of one strider. One Warspear takes out the last Stormguard, while another goes after the Charger but misses his attack. The pair screening Lylyth move up and continue to do so, while the last chargers the Journeyman, failing to hurt him but tying him and 4 Long Gunners up. Lylyth falls back behind the forest, dropping Spiny Growth on herself.

Cygnar Turn 3
The Ironclad and Lancer stand up, continuing their melee and hurting the Carnivean a bit. The Black 13th moves up and shoots the Seraph, seriously injuring it. One of the unengaged Long Gunners shoots at the Warspear who just killed the Stormguard, but can't do anything. The other one, however, rolls really well and finishes off the Seraph. Laddermore finishes the Strider shes engaging, and Styker just moves up a bit blasts the remaining Shredder, leaving it without Spirit or Mind.

Legion Turn 4
Finally with my Carnivean at full efficiency, I move Lylyth up, refresh Spiny Growth, and heal the Shredder to fully effectiveness. The little beast deals a few points to the Ironclad, but then the Carnivean opens up a can of whoopass on it, tearing it to pieces with a few more attacks left over to wound the Lancer! The Warspear fighting the Charger finally manages to kill it, while the other ones not guarding Lylyth move up to engage the Long Gunners. They kill 1, and the Warspear fighting the Journeyman brings him down to 1 life - cursed Arcane Shield! The Striders shoot at Laddermore, but she somehow manages to survive.

Cygnar Turn 4
Sensing she needs to do something to turn the tide of the battle, my opponent takes her swings in melee, then runs Stryker up to the center! Sadly he's low on focus, but still manages to take out the Shredder. The Black 13th fire a few shots into the Carnivean-Lancer melee, doing a bit of damage to both the beast and the jack, while everyone else just takes ineffective swings in melee.

Legion Turn 5
With the caster in the open, I decide to take my shot. Lylyth boosts a shot against Stryker, but misses, and is unable to drop Parasite on him. The unengaged Warspears assault him, but all of them miss! At this point, the store is closing, so I charge my Carnivean at Stryker. Sadly, he is killed by the Lancer, and the game ends in a draw due to the store closing.

Aftermath
I'm really sad we didn't get to finish, since with more time, I'm pretty sure I would've won. The Carnivean could've finished off the Lancer, and then my entire army would be bearing down on Stryker. Still, it was a lot of fun! The Warspears were interesting to try out - they were really effective, pretty much holding the left flank completely on their own. Reach and their toughness were really the game winners, though assault was kind of nice since it helped wreck the Charger. I think it'll be more interesting to use Warmongers, who would've probably been more effective against the Long Gunners with Berserk. Lylyth once again proved to be disappointing. After a great initial Eruption of Spines, she basically did nothing. Her small control mean not only did I have trouble taking advantage of her feat, I also couldn't keep my Carnivean from Frenzying, seriously slowing me down. She would have been more effective if I had been closer up, but I was really concerned about another assassination from Stryker. I guess next time I'll have to pull the Ogrun back a bit so they can keep her safe while she's still out front.

No comments:

Post a Comment