Friday, October 1, 2010

1st Game: vs. Cygnar

So I mentioned this a little while back, but this blog is currently playing a bit of catch-up to real life since I started playing a few weeks back. Here is the report of my first game, played about a week and a half ago now:

Just played my first game of WM/H, and though it was a bit short, it got kind of nerveracking at the end! It was a 21 point game (since that was all my opponent could field), with both our armies based off the battleboxes. My list was:

pLylyth
Carnivean
3 Shredders
Seraph
Forsaken

Hers was:
pHaley
Lancer
Charger
Ironclad
The Black 13th
Major Katherine Laddermore

The field was relatively sparse; there was a short hill running parallel to my edge about 20" out, while her side had a forest on one side and a hill on the other. She won the roll off and decided to go first.

Cygnar Turn 1:
She everything but Haley forward, setting the Jacks up in the center while Laddermore swung around the side. Haley then cast Arcane Shield on herself and failed-charged Laddermore to keep up.

Legion Turn 1: Deciding not to let my opponent be the only one flanking, I sent my Shredders around the side opposite Laddermore, while the rest of my force advanced. Lylyth cast tenacity on herself, the Carnivean, the Seraph, and the Forsaken, then used slipstream to move the Carnivean up a little bit before its move as she joined the Shredders on the side. The Carnivean tried to assault Laddermore with his breath, but was way short, ending up on the hill. The Forsaken positioned itself directly behind the Carnivean, and the Seraph moved in front of Lylyth to block line of sight.

Cygnar Turn 2:
Using Laddermore's great range, she charged the Carnivean, putting herself 2" away. I didn't realize her attacks also jumped to nearby units, so while the Carnivean barely noticed, the Forsaken was dropped to one hit point! I was really glad I had cast tenacity on her. The Jacks ran to the side a bit to keep from being flanked by the Shredders, but then Haley moved into the middle, cast Deadeye on herself and tried to take a shot at the Carnivean. Though I wasn't worried about the shot, I started considering whether I would be able to charge her and possibly take her out next turn, especially since she only had one focus after upkeeping Arcane Shield... The shot missed the Carnivean, but ended up hitting Laddermore instead! The Black 13th then moved up a little bit (not blocking Haley, something I was quick to notice), and the first tried to shoot the Carnivean as well, but when it missed and almost hit Haley, my opponent decided to forgo shooting anymore.

Legion Turn 2:
Deciding to take "Play like you got a pair" to heart, I set up to hit Haley with everything I had. First, the Seraph swooped by the Carnivean, slipstreaming it up closer. Hoping to soften her up a bit, I then had it shoot at Haley, rolling a 3 for strafe and boosting for 3 more attacks. I hadn't realize how high her defense was, and all the shots missed! Looking back, I should've boosted some of the attack rolls, but at the time, I was just nervous that I was about to get destroyed. Sticking to my guns, I moved Lylyth next to the Seraph (within 4" of her Jacks, since it was the only way to get sight to Haley around the two heavy warbeasts) and tried to Parasite and shoot her, but missed both! Looks my Carnivean would have to do all the work himself. I charged it forward, and already decided I was going to boost all my attack rolls. Thankfully, my bite managed to hit, and with my S+P equal to her ARM with the focus and shield, I did 12 points of damage, leaving her with only 3 health left! I quickly came back down though as my first claw attack missed. We both knew that if I missed the next one, the Jacks would tear Lylyth apart next turn. I rolled for the second claw...and scored a hit! Even with the lower strength I managed to deal the 3 damage to take her down.

Afterthoughts
The Carnivean was incredible, and the only downside being I didn't get a chance to test out the rest of my army! Since most of our figures didn't get to do much, we decided to play a quick test match between my shredders and the black 13th to get a feel for our minis. The shredders were treated as though they were in range of the warlock, and I have to say I was impressed - one took a full round of shooting from the entire black 13th and was still ok (though he lost his spirit so couldn't be forced) but then the other 3 went rabid and tore the black 13th apart! To keep things a bit interesting and get some more testing in, Laddermore then charged onto the field. All I can say is wow, I never want to be on the opposing end of her charge - she managed to wipe out two of the shredders right off the bat! On the bright side, after the charge, she really wasn't that powerful, so in future games I hope to get the charge on her!

No comments:

Post a Comment