Monday, October 25, 2010

Hot elf chick stripping

One slight downside to buying my initial models used is the previous owner had assembled and started painting them. While this wasn't a problem for most as they were just primed, Saeryn was actually fully painted, in a color scheme I wasn't particularly fond of. Here's a picture of her:
While the armor is ok, I really disliked the flesh skin tone. On the bright side, it gave me an opportunity to try something else I've never done: stripping the paint off a model. I looked online and found several suggestions, but the easiest seemed to be Pine-Sol. I first tried the recommended half Pine-Sol half water mix, but didn't find that effective enough, so I switched it up to pure Pine-Sol. I'm pretty happy with the results:
I used a soft bristle toothbrush to help scrub the paint off after the Pine-Sol soak, and managed to get nearly all of it, barring a few hard to reach crevasses. It was really interesting to watch - the primer layer seemed to just peel off, kind of an eerie effect. While there is a little bit I couldn't remove, I plan to press forward and try priming her along with Thagrosh and the Striders, once they are all assembled.

No comments:

Post a Comment