Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Game 5: vs Khador

One cool thing I've noticed about the new store I go to is how easy it is to get games in. Maybe its just the crowd is more experienced, but while at Dragon's Lair I struggle to get one game in 3 hours, at Gamma Ray Games I've been able to get them in under an hour. One of them happened yesterday, against a Khador player who is also the guy running Blighted Shadows at the store. I finally have 35 points, so thats what we played at. Here's what he brought:

Prime Butcher of Khardov
Kodiak
Juggernaught
Devestator
Behemoth
Battle Mechaniks
Koldun Lord

Wow, thats a ton of jacks! I think my best shot here is to go for assassination, since while my Carnivean can take down maybe 2 of them, once he's gone I'm pretty much out of options. I decided to try out Thagrosh this time, so here is the list I played:

Epic Thagrosh
Carnivean
Seraph
3 Shredders
Striders + UA
Forsaken
2 Spell Martyrs

I won the roll to go first, and opted to do so.

Legion Deployment
Pretty much everything went in the middle, with the Heavy Warbeasts taking the center, Thagrosh behind them, and the smaller guys around them. The Striders advanced deployed far up the right side.

Khador Deployment
He basically built a wall with his jacks, putting his Mechaniks and Butcher behind them. Times like these I with I had a Ragavore!

Legion Turn 1
The Striders run up the right side hoping to get a shot on the Mechaniks next turn. Thagrosh casts Dragon's Blood on the Carnivean and Unnatural Aggression on one of the Shredders, then moves up. Everything else runs forward.

Khador Turn 1
Almost everything runs forward, sticking to the brick formation. The Butcher moves around to the left to avoid getting shot at by the Striders and casts Iron Flesh on himself. The Behemoth tries to take a shot at the Striders, but due to deviation only hits 1.

Legion Turn 2
Deciding to try for the assassination, I run one of the Spell Martyrs towards the Butcher and try to arc Scourge through it. Sadly I was a little overcautious in running him forward, so when it misses it deviates so he's out of range. The Seraph takes a few shots at the Juggernaught, then a Shredder charges in to deal a bit more damage, sadly failing to cripple any systems. The Carnivean then charges the Kodiak, tearing it to pieces. The Striders move up and manage to kill 2 of the Mechaniks, and the rest of my force repositions.

Khador Turn 2
My opponent activates Full Throttle and his Feat, and pretty much ends the game. The Butcher carves up the Carnivean, the Behemoth lands a blast on the Striders taking almost all of them out, the Juggernaught tramples the Shredder hes engaged with, killing it and moving on to another one, and the Devestator tears the Seraph apart. At this point with pretty much just my Warlock vs 3 heavies I surrender.

Aftermath
Ouch, by far my worst game. Looking back, I played Thagrosh incredibly poorly. I should have just activated Manifest Destiny and my feat, using the Carnivean and Shredders to try to take down 2 of the Heavies, the held up the rest with Shredders. Since Thagrosh himself has P+S 18 and reach, I'm pretty sure he could have cleared the other two using my beasts to guard him, and the Striders and Forsaken could have mopped up the Butcher. Still, not a great list to play against given my Seraph and Striders aren't very effective against heavies. Makes me wish for Warmongers, since they have the power to take on heavies, and with cleave they are still a threat to infantry.

No comments:

Post a Comment