Friday, October 15, 2010

New purchases, new releases, and new ideas!

Great news - I finally found a place that has Striders in stock, so they, along with Epic Thagrosh, should arrive soon! On top of that, with the new Legion rulebook coming out in a week, most of the new models have been spoiled. There are several cool ones I'm eying: the Blackfrost Shard, a trio of character sorcerers, similar to the Black 13th I've been facing off with; Hex Hunters, swordsmen with powerful magic attacks; and Bethanye, Voice of Everblight, a new Warlock who can merge with her beast. I've always wanted my Carnivean to be my warlock, and it seems like this is a great chance to try out something similar!

With the new releases and new models on the way, I've started thinking about how I want to expand my list out to 50 points. The last few games I've played I really needed someone to help shield my caster, and I'm thinking Ogrun might be a good fit for this role. With high armor and lots of health, they can definitely take a beating. The two types are Warmongers and Warspears. The Warmongers seem a bit more offensive focused, since they have slightly higher power on their attacks, and when they kill an enemy they can strike again, great against mobs of weak units. Warspears on the other hand have +2 DEF vs. charge attacks, making them better at holding the line. The other option I've been considering is Legionnaires. Though they have similar armor and defense, they lack the many health boxes. On the other hand, for 2 points less I'm getting twice as many models, so that may help compensate a bit. Still weighing the choices there.

Now that I'm this close to 50, I really want to round out my army. I'd like to be able to play in tournaments and avoid getting squashed, so I want to know what I have a hard time handling. So far the Carnivean can handle large threats, and when the Striders get here they should help with mobs of weak units (as do Saeryn and Thagrosh when he arrives). This leaves 2 major openings I see: heavy infantry, and safe from everything except magic. I'm also not feeling great about my anti-infantry, so anything that helps with those is a plus. Based on the current options and new releases, my main choices are Swordsmen, Raptors, Hex Hunters, and the Blackfrost Shard. Here are my thoughts on each:

-Swordsmen are nice because they come in large numbers and deal an incredible amount of damage. Averaging power 25 blows on the charge will tear apart even the toughest enemies. The downside is they're very one-dimensional; they lack the speed of Raptors and the versatility of the casters.
-Raptors hit with all the power of Swordsmen but are also tied for fastest unit in the game, basically ensuring they will get the charge off. Unfortunately, they are really expensive, coming in at the same cost as a Shredder each. If I go with them I'll definitely need to take Legionnaires instead of Ogrun.
 NOTE: The next two are not released, so my thoughts are based on the information provided in the spoilers, which may not be entirely accurate.
-Hex Hunters bring great magic attacks to the table, as well as built in defense in the form of Stealth. They also match Swordsmen for numbers. I can easily see these guys carving through mobs of infantry with their attack-then-cast ability, but I would probably have to take Warmongers to take on heavy infantry.
-The Blackfrost Shard has the numbers problem of Raptors, but at least they don't cost the same arm and a leg. While they don't pack much hitting power, their utility is through the roof, providing ice bolts (which helps get around immunity to fire, something I hear complained about in tournaments), countermagic (again, useful for tournaments to get around opponents that curse you), and armor debuffs (nice for dealing with heavy infantry). The best part though might be Ice Prison - I can use it to lockdown a heavy Warjack/beast until my Carnivean can get around to dismantling it. If only they hit harder...

So while I'm not making a decision until I can see the actual rules, here are the layouts I'm thinking:
Warspears + Hex Hunters
Warmongers + Hex Hunters
Warmongers + Blackfrost Shard
Swordsmen + Legionnaires + Hex Hunters
Raptors + Legionnaires + Blackfrost Shard

Wow, thats a lot of options...Can't wait for the new models to be released!

No comments:

Post a Comment